Friday, January 8, 2010

The Ritual of Bathing

2010 the first year of a new decade. A lot happened in my life this past year. I learned more about myself, my strengths, and my resolve to live fully. No resolutions, no promises, no expectations. I have more clarity and know what feels right in my life, the choices I make in what I do on a daily basis, the people I surround myself with, the things that matter. Enjoying the flutter of a hummingbirds wings while sipping nectar in the garden matters. Contemplating the wondrous balance in nature that surrounds me matters.Having the ability to create sumptuous gardens that will out live me matters.Slowing down to appreciate rituals of life matters!
We are living in a technological age where the entire world is connected through space 24 hours a day.
I went to a restaurant recently and sat across from a couple who were both texting, not speaking a word to each other! On another occasion a young mom was dropping her toddler off to school while talking on the phone. What kind of  message is being sent to the young child?

When was the last time your sent or received a hand written letter? When was the last time you sat down to a meal with a friend or family member that was cooked on your stove? When was the last time you took a soothing  bath by candle light?I would like to suggest that  you take some time for yourself, slow down, smell the roses as it's said. All this connectivity is spinning out of control! So here is what I want you to do.
Find some scented candles, as many as you like, vanilla is always nice. Draw a warm bath, add lavender essential oil if you have some. Prepare your drying towels, and change of fresh lounge wear in advance.
If you have a pitcher or some kind of container, a small pot will do. You can pour the warm scented water on you neck while soaking, it feels so good! leave the lights off, I assume you know where all your body parts are by now, just relax, take in the ritual of bathing, honor your body, take this time for yourself.
Allow the steam to fill the space, creating a warm mist, just relax. place a warm towel on your forehead and sit back. This is your time, find your inner peace.I wish you all a bountiful new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment